Monday, November 19, 2012

Weight loss reality check

Ok, so it's been a bit from the time I started this blog to now, so I feel like it is important that I address a reality that I am facing, one that we all must face when staring down a challenge, and that is that this isn't easy.  I have been given a great opportunity.  A great coach in Missy Kane.  A great group of people going on this journey with me.  A fitness and nutrition program designed by professionals specifically for me.  FREE ACCESS to a great gym!!! 

But the reality is while all that stuff helps, in the end, none of it will be what creates change. 

What will?  The answer is me.  What's inside me.  Only I can change me.  Only I can choose what I eat, when I eat, and how much. No one is going to get me to the gym and get me running but myself.  My wife Shea can encourage, fuss, lecture, plead, or whatever else, and she has for a year and a half now, and I am about 20 lbs from the heaviest I have ever been in my life (292 lbs currently).

Only me.  I can make every excuse in the book, and believe me I have.  "I'll start on Monday."  "I'll start on the first of the month, so I can have a whole month to measure."  "It's my birthday/thanksgiving/christmas/tailgating/date night/a day that ends in y."  I have made every excuse there is, and now I am done.  No more excuses.  No more reasons to delay, to cheat myself of the body and the confidence and the life I deserve.  It starts now.

Hope ya'll are ready.

2 comments:

  1. Discovered your blog through Shea. I wanted to encourage you by telling you that my husband is in the same boat and often finds finding motivation very difficult! If you get the opportunity go to draxe.com and check out his "real foods diet" - I hate that it is even called a "diet" b/c it is a lifestyle change that has saved our family a ton of heartache, doctor appointments, and needless prescriptions! I wrote a blog post about my husbands journey a long time ago... you can find it here: http://www.believingboldly.com/2010/12/diet-is-4-letter-word.html

    If you simply give up sugar - all added sugars (they're in EVERYTHING)this includes cows milk... read labels!... you will drop 30 pounds in no time at all! I promise!

    On another note, something that helps me is I put my training goals on a calendar and put that calendar on the fridge where I see it constantly... this helps me stay accountable and it feels good to be able to mark off each day what I did. Also, do a weekly menu for yourself for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks - prior preparation prevents poor performance ;) ... when you are hungry w/ no plan we often reach for something quick and not healthy.

    Do not be fooled by "low fat" or "low calorie" gimicks.

    It sounds like you have the motivation, now you just need a plan!

    Best wishes and I look forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the info and encouragement. I will check it out! : )

    ReplyDelete